Saturday, December 03, 2005

 

End of the Quarter

So Wednesday's workshop got a little crazy. There's a student who doesn't get along well with the teacher. They had some words outside of class before this week. So at the end, three people were supposed to hand out stories for workshop next week--mine being one of them--and we all only get two. The student didn't want the teacher to read his last work. So he tells the teacher, in front of the class, that he'll take whatever "grade" he gets because of it. Then he wants to give the work to the rest of the class, but not the teacher. They kind of yelled at each other in front of everyone. Weirdly, the last workshop, this week, will be at the teacher's house in LA. So I'm not sure if that student is even going to go. It'll all very uncomfortable and weird.

But I'm excited about my workshop. One of my cohorts call me to tell me how much they liked my submission and "couldn't put it down." That was nice. I'm hoping it goes well, because I think I might continue to work on it as a novel. I wrote a lot for it-- over 40 pages--and so I handed in about 25. I'll already have my next submission mostly done, just need to do tweaking and editing for it. Which will be interesting because one, I'll hand it in first, so it will be fresh in people's minds, and also, we'll have a new teacher, Brad Watson, so I'll be able to get a completely different view of the next section of the same piece.

As for teaching--I spent all day Thursday and Friday doing conferences with my student over their last final research paper. That's horrible, and draining, and made me want to die by the end of it. But it's almost over. Wednesday their final drafts are due and I have until Monday to slap a grade on them, which won't take that long really.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home