Tuesday, November 29, 2005

 

Draft for tomorrow

Well, my draft is due tomorrow. It's crazy how much I've worked on this in such a short period of time. Four weeks back, I started trying to write a draft to hand in, and for two weeks I wrote in fits and starts, amassed 15 pages of four different story starts that I while I didn't hate, I didn't really get into either. Then I freaked the fuck out two weeks ago because I had nothing.

Then I started writing about my father's heart attack, a steady one or two hours a day, most every day. And I stopped this Friday, and I had 30 pages. Then I gave myself the task of editing it all this weekend, and after editing 20 pages, it turned into 33. My cohorts won't be thrilled about the page length, but whatever. I want to get as much of it in front of them as possible. I still have another ten pages that I've left out for my next workshop submission.

So I graded all day Friday, then edited the draft most of the day Saturday and Sunday--I did see a movie Saturday night, Capote, I really liked it and immediately went out and bought In Cold Blood.

Yesterday I had classes all day-- teaching, then I had to write a two page draft of my final paper for the pedagogy course, then we had peer reviews of said draft.

Today's I've done nothing but work on my draft, all day. I got at eight-thirty, had toast and tea and from 9-12, edited. Then I went to the gym, came home, took a shower, then I did my laundry, and read some of my cohort's story that is up for workshop this week. By five I got back to working on my draft and aside from a few short snack breaks, I've been at the computer until now, which is midnight.

I just printed out the last version and am going to check it for typos only! No more writing or sentence edits or adding anything, I can't!

Comments:
Frank! I did the same exact thing as you. Well, I saw Capote the weekend it opened and loved it. Immediately read In Cold Blood. That Capote was something, wasn't he? What a narcissist. And I never knew that he was best friends with Harper Lee. The character Dill, in To Kill a Mockingbird was based on him, apparently. I think that's neat. Well, it's great to see you blogging again. Talk to you later... hope you're well. --Danielle
 
Happy! Too have you back. Pompano
 
Post a Comment



<< Home