Thursday, August 11, 2005

 

First, some notes

Leaving Chicago was an impulsive decision, and the right one. I finally feel like my trip is starting.

Total miles yesterday: 570.
States: Illinois, Wisconsin (which is beautiful,) Minnesota, South Dakota.

Favorite town name yesterday: Blue Earth, MN.

Things I learned in Chicago: Hammocks are environmentally low-impact.

Things I learned driving so far: the smaller the town, the bigger the grocery store.

Random thought I had while driving: Everything I've never seen makes me nostalgic for everything I've known. -- on I-90, Burr Oak Rd.

I don't know what that means, but I did when I wrote it down. Well, I do remember thinking about all my friends, I was imagining them traveling with me, in a way, and I felt so close to them even as I moving away.

More random thoughts/observations: the candy-striped telephone poles of Wisconsin Dells.

(they were actually power lines, but I like the sound of telephone poles better, so I changed it).

I almost ran out of gas in Rockport, MN.

Alternate energy sightings: Solar Panels in Ohio, and Windmills in MN. Nothing else, so far.

Animal sightings: sheep in WI, and cows in MN. Nothing else, so far.

My service engine soon light has been on since Pennsylvania. Is that bad?

New favorite song I had never heard before, that I discovered on my Ipod shuffle: A Shooting Star is Not a Star by They Might Be Giants.

The border of WI-MN is stunning. After you cross the Mississippi, the speed limit raises to 70, there's a beautiful green range of mountains on your left shoulder, and the Mississippi winding below you on your right. After seeing this, with the right lighting, there is no longer any reason to live.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home