Monday, August 01, 2005

 

Cross country Plan

So I figured out a rough skeleton guide for my trip in my '93 Saturn to Californ I A.

I depart Monday the 8th at five a.m., and head west. First stop will be that afternoon, in Ohio. Maybe Cleveland, or maybe Toledo. Haven't decided yet. I'll spend the night there, and then up to Chicago. A few days there. Then, up further north to Milwaukee. But that'll be a short stop. Then - more driving. West and north through South Dakota, until I get to the Badlands. I plan on exploring S.D. for at least four days. Then West again, across Wyoming, to Yellowstone, and spend a few days there.

Then - south! Down to Utah, Salt Lake City, then back East a bit to get to CanyonLands, then south again from there - hit the Grand Canyon, then back west for the final run - into Las Vegas (I have to stay there a few days, too) before finally landing in Irvine.

Three weeks! Can't wait. I've been waiting to use my hammock that I got in the Yukatan a few years ago, and I'll get to - sleeping in the campsites near the National Parks.

If anyone can recommend to me anywhere good along the way, I'm listening.

Comments:
I took three weeks to drive from San Diego to Maryland in January, but I took a wending, southerly route -- Pheonix, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago, Columbus, and Baltimore.

So my tip is, forget Cleveland -- go to Columbus. Cool town, and the art scene survives despite the general classing-up of the joint.
 
You can't stay in Yellowstone unless you have an RV. There's a KOA in West Yellowstone. Costs about $35 to spend the night without hookups. Admission to the park is $10/car. It's all worth it! Have fun.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home