Thursday, August 11, 2005

 

Badlands

First of all, I must apologize for all the typos in my last post. I had to type in a hurry, as there is only one place in Sioux Falls to internet and that's the library, and they had an hour max usage time. And I ran out, and I didn't have time to proof read. For shame. Thanks to John for the edits.

Second, I have to talk about this: two weeks ago, I blogged (under Thursday night quotes) about a line from a Bill Knott poem that I really, really like a lot, and have had on my wall for the last year. And then, today, guess who comments on my post? Bill Knott himself. Now I'm really going to be addicted to blogging. Thanks Bill.

Back to the trip. (I'll have another two pages of stuff about Sioux Falls, a place I really liked a lot, for reasons I will eventually disclose, but I left my notebook in the car, and I don't have the energy to go get it. So I'll post that later).

I had a bad driving day. I didn't get out of Sioux Falls until noon, and then I got really sleepy after only an hour or so of driving. I had to stop, and rest, and eat. Then I bought this really crappy gas that seemed to leak out as I drove, so I had to stop for gas an extra time. I didn't get to the Badlands until sixish.

Total Miles today: about 300.

total for trip to date: about 1,700.

The Badlands:

I shouldn't even bother to write about this, but I will. There are no words for what I saw today. Driving through the Badlands at sunset, on a partly cloudy day--the sky alone, was unbelievable. Every time I turned around, it was doing something different, a new shard of light spearing through a cloud, or a new color in the haze. The rocks, the colors: Purple and yellow mounds, red and white stripes. Never seen anything like it. I'm going back tomorrow to do the killer 5 mile hike through the length of the park. Wish me luck! And hydration.

Plus, there's a big biker convention thing all over South Dakota. So there are motorcycles, everywhere. It's kind of exciting, and also annoying. Well, it's color. However, rooms are expensive because of this, and so I'll be heading into the Black Hills to hammock. Hopefully it doesn't rain tonight, but I have some plans if it does.

"Camping in the Black Hills." I sound like I'm in a fantasy novel. I should have a broadsword, or a spellbook.

The west end of South Dakota is really amazing. The Badlands are a must see. If I would have drove all 1,700 miles for only this, it would have been worth it.

More things I learned while driving:
1)You haven't heard Mason Jennings' music until you listened to it in Minnesota.
2)You haven't heard Phillip Glass until you've heard it at sunset in the Badlands.
3)You haven't heard Tom Wait's "Shiver Me Timbers" until you realize it's really about me.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home