Saturday, August 13, 2005

 

Badlands II

So yesterday, that's Friday, after getting a great night sleep in my hammock (it poured early on, but was done by 11, so it was warm enough, I slept like the dead under the black sky--not many stars, kinda cloudy) and after going the wrong direction on the interstate and heading 30 miles out of my way, I stopped at Wall Drug to get a few things- an inflatable pillow (my neck was killing me) some razors, and some sunblock for my hike. I made it back to the Badlands by 2.

So I took the Catle Trail- 5.5 miles out, and 5.5 back. About 11 miles, no shade. Six hours. And there was no one around for miles. It's an amazing hike, you can go off-trail as much as you dare. I did, a bit. I was surprised I did the whole thing. I got to think about a lot of stuff, I saw lots of things (not many animals- a rabbit, a rattlesnake (well, I just heard him) and a deer. Lots of cactus. But it's all about the rocks. As many colors as you can think of, crystals, fossils. The floor is like a soft clay. I took lots of pictures, I'll post them when I get my computer set-up in CA.
As I got back to the car, maybe around 8:30, a tremendous thunderstorm rolled in. So I drove up into the Badlands, and parked my car behind a small row of cliffs, and watched the lighting storm touchdown around me. It was a huge storm that swirled all around the entirety of the Badlands, the lighting touching down in front, behind, off to each direction you looked. The sky lit up like rapid fire- one flash, then a series of three or four. Then the thunder- rolling across the flat prairie land, the sound seemed to travel past me, like a truck. I sat in the dark, sometimes listening to my ipod, sometimes turning it off and just listening to the rain and thunder and wind.

At one point, though I realize a little dumb, I got out, and walked around the car. The wind almost pushed me down and the rain was pouring on me. But I was so salty from the long hike, I didn't care. The temperature changes so fast out here- I was sweating in the sun, up in the 90's, now, in the storm, it had to be in the fifties.

I camped at my same rest area outside the Badlands, but didn't sleep well, as it was very cold and it rained all night. Now I'm in Rapid City, about to head to the Black Hills. I've changed plans, since a friend of mine is in Colorado, I won't be going to Yellowstone anymore. (I'm sad about that.) But instead to Rock Mountain NP, and a few other places in there. But that's Mon or Tuesday.

For now, more South Dakota: Hot springs, Mn Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, and some caves over the next few days. I might not check in again until Mon or Tues, in Denver.


total miles Friday: 144

total miles to date: 2,144

Comments:
Sounds like fun. NYC is steamy hot. It's like walking around in an electric blanket. Okay. Enjoying your log.
 
What was that you said about 'not' going to Wall Drugs????
Loving your trip....can't wait until you write more... AF
 
Well, Frances you are finaly doing it... The small towns sound like they should. You should have put your cock in the the check-out girls mouth to see if her R's sound more like "hmmttmmmmhm" Becareful out there and turn your cell on.

your boy
Joey, aka-tony
 
Post a Comment



<< Home